Located on the Farne Islands in Northumberland, Inner Farne and Staple Island are major sanctuaries in the UK for about 22 species of breeding seabirds. The seas around the islands are also havens for grey seals. This workshop provides an excellent opportunity to get up close and photograph guillemots, razorbills, eider ducks, 4 species of tern and a staggering 70,000 puffins both on the islands and whilst cruising around and between them.
LOCATION: Farne Islands, Northumberland, UK
GROUP SIZE: 6 (requires minimum 4 to run). All levels of experience welcome.
DURATION: 1 day (8.30am to 5pm)
PRICE: £125 per person
8 July 2018 | PLACES AVAILABLE
9 July 2018 | PLACES AVAILABLE
10 July 2018 | PLACES AVAILABLE
11 July 2018 | PLACES AVAILABLE
12 July 2018 | PLACES AVAILABLE
13 July 2018 | PLACES AVAILABLE
The day will begin with a meeting at Seahouses Harbour (Postcode: NE68 7RN) at 8.30am where John will give a short safety briefing; offer some technical tips for the shoot and make sure your camera is set up and ready for the day ahead. We will depart the harbour between 9.30 and 10am. We will spend approximately 2 hours on Staple Island and 2 hours on Inner Farne. In the event it is not possible to land on Staple Island, we will make a 4 hour afternoon landing on Inner Farne.
Seahouses is a popular resort and gets busy at peak times. Pay and display parking is available at the harbour, above the harbour and also in the main village car park which is situated off the roundabout between Barclays Bank and the public toilets.
To ensure you get the most from the visit:
- Bring an interchangeable lens camera (i.e DSLR or mirrorless - please call before booking if unsure).
- If you are bringing a large camera and lens combination a tripod or monopod will prove useful.
- Come equipped to protect your camera and lens from inclement weather and sea spray both on the boat and on the islands.
- Bring lens hoods; spare camera batteries and storage cards.
- Bring warm clothing, waterproofs and good footwear for walking short distances on boardwalks or uneven ground.
- Arctic terns nest close to the pathway and get very agitated when human beings are in proximity to their nesting sites. They routinely fly overhead and peck you on the head. We therefore advise wearing soft headgear to protect yourself from minor cuts (hard headgear is not permitted to protect the birds).
- There are NO facilities for purchasing food or drink once you have boarded the vessel so please bring sufficient for a lunch and any other needs during the day.
- There are NO toilets available on the boat or Staple Island. A basic toilet is available on Inner Farne where we plan to visit in the early afternoon.
- We will be restricted to boardwalks throughout the day and monitored by National Trust Rangers.
- Sailings to the Farne Islands are usually busy and boats travel full. We are unable to guarantee where on the boat you will be able to sit.
- All landings are made entirely at the discretion of the boatmen.
- Typically one sailing per year has to be cancelled due to inclement weather. In this event, a full refund will be given.
John will be available throughout the day to provide image review and technical advice and support according to your individual needs.
The day will finish about 5pm but if required, John will happily stay longer to discuss any photographic issues or conduct bespoke tutorials.
What's Included in the Price?
- Personal tuition and guidance from John Birch
- Boat trip from Seahouses to Staple Island and Inner Farne (please note landing fees are NOT included - see below).
- Photographic equipment
- Accommodation, food and drink
- National Trust Landing Fees (£26pp in 2017; FREE to National Trust members). This must be paid at the National Trust Kiosk on Seahouses Harbour PRIOR to departure.
- Personal or equipment insurance (recommended)
Terms and Conditions
All of the information on this website must be read in conjunction with our terms and conditions for workshops which can be found on the link below.
The payment of a £25 non-refundable deposit per person will secure your booking. The balance will become due 90 days prior to the workshop. Payment can be made by bank transfer, debit or credit card (no surcharges).